Culligan Builds its First Smart Home Product on the Ayla IoT Platform
Culligan Connect for HE Water Softeners Lets Dealers and Homeowners Remotely Monitor and Control Their Water Softener Systems
August 10, 2017
Ayla Networks, a global Internet of Things (IoT) platform for manufacturers, and Culligan International, the world’s leading water treatment company, announced today that Culligan has built its first smart home product on the Ayla IoT platform. Using the new Culligan Connect™ for HE, homeowners can monitor and control their Culligan High-Efficiency (HE) water softeners remotely, from anywhere in the world—and Culligan dealers can monitor system status and provide more proactive service to homeowners.
“Ayla’s extensive expertise, breadth of IoT technology and experience with leading appliance brands made us confident their IoT infrastructure could manage uptime, security, scalability and all the other capabilities necessary for a successful smart home product,” said Zach Schroeck, director of retail and product management for Culligan International. “Now that we have our first connected product on the market, we look forward to expanding our connected capabilities throughout our product portfolio.”
Culligan Connect systems use Ayla embedded agents to connect via Wi-Fi to the Ayla cloud, and Culligan used Ayla’s Agile Mobile Application Platform (AMAP) to design its mobile app.
“Culligan has designed an elegant two-phase interface to leverage the IoT data generated by their connected water softeners: a mobile app for end customers and a web-based portal for dealers,” said David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks. “The Culligan Connect product takes full advantage of the Ayla IoT platform to deliver a smart home appliance that will add real value for both homeowners and Culligan dealers.”
Culligan Connect Benefits Extend to Homeowners and Dealers
Easily installed by a trained local technician, the Culligan Connect Wi-Fi accessory can help homeowners:
- Gain peace of mind while at home or away by being able to control their water softener system through a mobile device.
- Conserve water and energy by tracking water usage.
- Choose to bypass treated water for outdoor cleaning and watering applications.
- Receive push notifications or alerts when salt supplies are low or if there’s unexpected water flow when residents are away from home
Culligan dealers can use the IoT data generated through the Culligan Connect accessory to:
- Monitor the status and settings of connected water softeners easily, from their desks.
- Receive diagnostic and system status reports and error alerts remotely, at any time.
- Track usage data to make sure the system is sized correctly and to predict when it’s time to regenerate the salts.
- Contact customers when there’s a problem rather than waiting for customers to contact them.
- Proactively schedule service visits based on individual customers’ needs.
- Save time and costs by knowing the nature of system errors before sending a truck to the customer’s home.
The Culligan Connect accessory is currently compatible with Culligan high-efficiency (HE) water softeners in the United States and Canada. Users can download the free mobile app via the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. More information is available at the Culligan website
About Culligan International
Founded in 1936 by Emmett Culligan, Culligan International is a world leader in delivering water solutions that will improve the lives of their customers. The company offers some of the most technologically advanced, state-of-the-art water filtration products. Culligan’s products include water softeners, drinking water systems, whole-house systems and solutions for business. Culligan’s network of franchise dealers is the largest in the world, with more than 800 dealers in 90 countries. Many Culligan dealers have valuable equity in their communities as multigenerational family owners of their franchises. For more information, visit www.culligan.com.
About Ayla Networks
Ayla Networks empowers leading manufacturers by simplifying the inherent complexity of the Internet of Things (IoT), enabling them to turn their products into smart connected systems and transform their businesses to compete in the game-changing world of connectivity. Delivered as a cloud platform-as-a-service (PaaS), Ayla’s IoT platform provides the flexibility and modularity to enable rapid changes to practically any type of device, cloud or app environment. Ayla is a member of the elite Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partner Network, so all connected products running on the Ayla IoT cloud gain the security and availability benefits of the AWS cloud infrastructure. For more information, visit www.aylanetworks.com.